Sunday 17 July 2011

quick pea and ham soup and small ramble

My CD player is currently refusing to play the junior boys so evil glares at that, although it does remind me that apart from metronomy and Tuneyards (capitals be damned) I havent bought anything for a while, although as it is now officially school holiday (yay) I have plenty of time to potter before finally deciding not to buy anything which is my usual way.
T.O.H has been trying to cut down on gluten this last few weeks and generally it doesnt make sense time wise or in effort to cook two full dinners so Ive been having similar meals (with added bread for my gluten fix hmmm gluten) and so thought I'd jot down a quick and easy recipe, plus have noticed I havent put any food up for ages.
My mum and dad got me (or mamma and pa bought one, if your posh) a hand held blender for my b day which has been so useful not just in soup making but also pestos, making minted peas (which is simply just cooked peas mint jelly and some oil, even peanut butter, anyway this is a recipie for pea soup its very very easy and changable to your needs (for example Im not a fan of really thick soup so the first time I added less peas) its also very easy to make a veggie version simply cook the onions as directed, add the stock salt and pepper and cook the peas for 15 minutes before blending, making it far quicker and way cheaper.

ingredients
about 2 pounds of peas (if using frozen defrost first (and wash) )
around 2 litres of stock (I used two cubes of gluten free stock cubes but you can obviously just use veg stock instead) (oh and I also added a pinch of tumeric as I like the colour) (also I like brackets)
1 onion finely chopped
a small butter portion
1 small bacon joint (I used a sainsburys basic one around 350 g and made sure it didnt have too much fat, I suppose to make it even healthier trim most of the fat off first)

in a large pan melt butter add the onion and cook until soft, add the bacon joint and enough water to just cover the joint (around 2 litters should do it), bring to a boil, reduce slightly and cook for around one hour turning the joint halfway through, by now the bacon should be nice and soft so skim any fat that floats to the surface remove the joint and add the peas, cook the peas for 10 to 15 minutes and as you do take off any fat from the joint and shred the meat, after the 15 minutes blend the soup and add salt and pepper to taste, add the meat and re heat the soup serve with nice thick bread and butter or if your gluten free rice cakes crushed up give the soup a bit more chunk.
anyway thats it, suggestions or changes always welcome. Its Sunday so going to continue to potter in PJs and plan on seeing the Princess of Montpensier in a bit yay sundays yay holidays YaY generally

No comments: